Brexit Guidance

The UK has left the EU, all new rules related to trade, travel and business came into effect on 1 January 2021.

This page gives information about the likely impacts of Brexit on travel and may be helpful for students travelling overseas with DMU Global to the EU.


There may be some changes to the way you travel from 1 January 2021. You can find the most up to date travel advice on the UK Government Foreign & Commonwealth office (FCO) website.

Travel insurance

All DMU students and staff travelling as a part of an official DMU Global trip will be covered by DMU travel insurance, details of this will be confirmed prior to departure. DMU’s medical travel insurance continues to cover students in the case of accidents, however post-Brexit, existing conditions will not be covered.

You may need to purchase additional insurance due to pre-existing medical conditions, or may wish to purchase insurance to cover personal possessions. It is important to check details of exactly what is and isn’t covered for any travel insurance policy that you are thinking about purchasing.

You can read information about buying travel insurance with the right cover here.


For short trips, visa-free travel in the Schengen area for UK nationals will continue after 1 January 2021. You’ll be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

Non-EU nationals should continue to check their Schengen visa requirements as normal.


Students and staff should check that their passport is valid for travel. When travelling to the EU after 1 January 2021, the UK government recommends that you have six months left on your passport on the date of your arrival in an EU country. On the day you travel, you will need your passport to both:

  • have at least 6 months left
  • be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left)

If you do not renew it, you may not be able to travel to most EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

You can use a tool on to check whether your passport is valid for the country you’re visiting.

You may wish to renew your passport sooner rather than later to ensure that you have it in time for your travel plans. You can renew your passport online or by going to a Post Office with a Check and Send service.

European Health Insurance Card

For students going to the EU, you can apply for a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) to access necessary state-provided healthcare. Further details of what is meant by medically necessary healthcare, how to apply for the GHIC and who is eligible to apply can be found here.


Due to the uncertainty around Brexit, it is likely that the value of the British Pound will fluctuate. If you are concerned that the value of the Pound will weaken significantly, you can purchase some of your currency in advance, providing you are satisfied with the current rates available. Please note the value of the pound can increase and decrease due to a wider variety of factors.

Using your phone abroad

Under EU rules, the cost of making calls, sending messages or using the internet on your phone in the EU is the same in the UK. From 1 January 2021 these rules may no longer apply – however, some UK companies have said they may continue to offer this benefit to their customers. Before you travel, check with your mobile phone provider about the costs of using your phone in the EU.

Further information

You can find more information and other useful links on the DMU website.