University of Jaén – Andalusia, Spain

University of Jaen (UJA) is a public university located in Jaén, Spain that was founded in 1993. There are approximately 17,000 students studying at this vibrant, modern university which has an international outlook and a strong commitment to society and the local community.

The university is only a ten-minute walk from the city center, allowing an unforgettable learning experience that extends far beyond the classroom. The city’s history goes back to the Moorish period, which left the city the largest Arab baths in Spain. Its impressive architecture also includes medieval cathedrals and the Museum of Arts and Popular Customs. In October, Jaen hosts its biggest festival, the San Lucas Fair which involves dancing and traditional gastronomy.

Programmes of study

DMU’s exchange agreement with University of Jaen allows students enrolled on the following programmes to study abroad:

  • Art, Design and Humanities – English Language and Literature, English Literature with Spanish.
  • Business & Law – Business Administration and Management, Business Management and International Marketing and Business with Spanish.

Modules will be available in English and further information about the study options can be found here. Exchange students will be required to follow a full programme of study for the academic year based at University of Jaen.

Travel & accommodation

  • Travel – Students can fly indirect to Granada Airport and take the airport bus to Jaén’s bus station or, if the timetables do not fit you, take the airport bus to Granada’s bus station and finally take an Alsa Bus to Jaén or Linares. Alternatively, students can fly to Malaga Airport and then take a bus journey (3 hours) to Jaen. For more information, please see University of Jaén webpage.
  • Accommodation – Students can choose to apply for a room in the university’s student halls of residence or rent privately. For more information visit the University of Jaén webpage.

Visas & insurance

  • Visas – To take part in this exchange you are responsible for ensuring that you meet Spanish immigration requirements.
  • Insurance – All students are recommended to purchase travel insurance for the duration of their time in Europe to cover personal possessions and healthcare. UK and EU nationals can apply for a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) which is time-limited to the length of the exchange period.


Living costs in Spain tend to be lower than those in the UK. We recommend that you do further independent research to gain a better understanding of the cost of your year abroad. To help you, we have a created a simple cost comparison between the UK and Spain: